Sunday, June 3, 2007

BadVista and Lua

In an intricate series of link-clicking in Wikipedia, I found the campaign Bad Vista by the FSF. As much as I respect what the FSF has achieved, I must say that I'll never join the campaign. This seems like the OS war is degenerating to some kind of calling-names-sandbox-fight. The correct way to promote free software is to show where Linux and GNU software is superior, not to flame on every single security invulnerability of Windows. Further examples on where the campaign goes wrong are quotes like "an affordable and usable system running Vista is perhaps 5 years away", when the only reference is a text by an individual writer's blog with no real facts or research to back is up (other than meaningless calculations based on predictions).

I really like to see good free software prosper, but I doubt this is the way to go.

On a completely different subject, thought I'd pick up a new programming language, so I started reading on Lua. Seems interesting and simple enough for my needs (a scripting language atm). I'm halfway through the Reference manual already.

0 comments: